The Civil Service in Hong Kong
Please login to add notes
- CHAPTER 1 INTRODUCTION
- CHAPTER 2 THE CIVIL SERVICE IN PERSPECTIVE
- CHAPTER 3 THE CHALLENGE OF TRANSITION1
- CHAPTER 4 PREPARING FOR CHANGE
- CHAPTER 5 MANAGING SUCCESSION
- CHAPTER 6 MANAGING AND REWARDINGPERFORMANCE1
- CHAPTER 7 MANAGING THE PUBLIC SECTOR
- CHAPTER 8 THE FUTURE ROLE OF THE SENIORCIVIL SERVICE
- CHAPTER 9 CONTINUITY AND CHANGE
- APPENDIX A
- APPENDIX B
The civil service has made significant contribution to the development of Hong Kong. Over the years, this institution has been exposed to challenges emanating from the rapidly changing environment. The preparation for Hong Kong's integration with China was a major accomplishment for the civil service. Immediately after the transition, new problems and issues are emerging, and the civil service is expected to assist in dealing with them under the changed circumstances. This book provides a comprehensive overview of the organisation, problems, issues and prospects of the civil service in Hong Kong. It examines the origin and development of the civil service, efforts to deal with the changes before and after the transition, and the process of managing public services with reference to its changing role and responsibilities.
The book will be of interest to academics, civil servants, professionals and students, as well as researchers interested in the role of civil servants in changing societies, and can be used for teaching courses on public administration and Asian Studies.